What is required to begin flight training?

with No Comments

Before flight training begins, student pilots need the following:

  • English verbal proficiency.  The US and the rest of the world use English to communicate with Air Traffic Control. If you can carry an English conversation with friends or in a business setting, then you are probably proficient enough for flight training.
  • TSA permission to pursue flight training.  Foreign student pilots are welcomed, but you will need permission from the TSA in order to begin flight training. Their process usually takes about 2 months – we’ll walk you through it step-by-step after you’ve joined the Club. US Persons (Citizens and Permanent Residents) are automatically granted permission.
  • A Class III medical evaluation by an FAA-approved doctor.  The doctor will perform a series of medical evaluations to ensure you are healthy enough to fly.  The medical is required before you can solo.

In addition, from the club side, you’ll need:

  • To be an active club member.  This means having paid the current semester’s dues ($20 for GT students, $30 for other members of the GT community).
  • Be in touch with our Chief CFI.  Once you are voted in as a member of the club, you will receive emails from our Chief CFI detailing what you need to start and giving you some basic paperwork.  Make sure to fill it out quickly so you pass through the wait list as fast as possible!
  • Pay flight fees.  Once you’re assigned to a flight instructor by the Chief CFI, make sure to pay flight fees ($95) to gain scheduling privileges on our online scheduling website.